Recently, I went to the DMV. The parking lot was full and the line went to the door. The wait would be over an hour! I left.
A day later, the place was nearly empty! They called my number before I could complete the forms and there were no lines at any station. I was driving away 16 minutes after I had arrived.
Most people look for service at the same times. By avoiding the busy hours at clinics, government offices, warehouse stores like Costco, and other crowded places, you can generally get faster service. Hints:
- Avoid the weekends, Mondays, and Fridays. Tuesday through Thursday are the least busy.
- Mornings are generally better. I usually go an hour or so after they open (avoiding the rush of people who stop by on their way to work).
- Mid-afternoon, after lunch hour and before 3 PM, is sometimes a good time. However, many service staff take their lunch at 1 or 2 PM, so you may wind up arriving when they are short-handed.
- Ask! The staff is happy to advise you when the least busy times are.
- Immediately after the office opens can be a very good or a very bad time. At Costco, for instance, the hour before closing is often an excellent choice. But at some places, people often arrive at the last minute, so it's a good idea to ask the service staff.